Settle Easy

Frequently asked questions

  • Can I still buy or sell property during the COVID-19 pandemic?

    Although there have been some changes to the way in which you can buy or sell property during this pandemic, we would like to reassure our customers that working online is in our DNA, so at Settle Easy, it's business as usual. There is no need for you to leave the comfort and safety of your home to complete your conveyancing transaction' our expert conveyancers are online and ready to help 24/7. We encourage all our customers to allow a little extra time to complete their settlements at this time as finance, removalists and other services might take a bit longer to organise.

  • What is the conveyancing?

    Conveyancing is the process of moving the legal ownership of property or land from one person or entity to another.

  • What is a conveyancer?

    A conveyancer is a property transfer specialist. They prepare the legal documents that form part of real estate transactions such as the purchase and sale of properties, settlements and title transfers.

  • When do I need a conveyancer?

    Once you have decided to buy or sell real estate and BEFORE you sign anything, you need a conveyancer. They will explain everything you need to know.

  • How much does it cost?

    Whether you are buying or selling, each conveyancing transaction will cost $1,100 (including GST) plus out of pocket expenses.Out of pocket expenses relate specifically to your property and are things we need to know in order to complete your conveyancing transaction.

  • When do I pay?

    You will pay at settlement. Why does Settle Easy cost less than other conveyancers/solicitors? We are up front about our costs and offer an expert conveyancing service with no hidden charges. Our fixed fee $1,100 (including GST) does not cover out of pocket expenses also known as disbursements. Disbursements vary for every conveyancing transaction depending on the type of property involved. Costs can vary from $300 to $600 depending on the type of property involved.

  • Can you tell me a bit more about out of the pocket expenses?

    These costs are fees we might have to pay third parties to complete your conveyancing transaction. Among other things, we might need:

    • title searches
    • meter readings
    • council land and building statements
    • planning and heritage schemes
    • water rates and encumbrance certificates
    • road authority certificates
    • Environment Protection Authority (EPA) certificates
    • owner’s corporation certificate.

  • Do I need a conveyancer or solicitor?

    No, registered conveyancers are property transfer specialists so you don’t need to use a solicitor at all. Some conveyancers are qualified solicitors, but many are not.

  • What areas do you service?

    We offer conveyancing services throughout Victoria and will soon expand into other Australian states and territories.

  • Where are you located?

    Settle Easy is an online conveyancing service, but our people share offices with national law firm, Mills Oakley, in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD.

  • What is a settlement?

    If buying or selling property was a marathon, think of the settlement as the finish line. Settlement is the part where legal possession of land or property is transferred from one owner to another.

  • How long the settlement does it take?

    Most settlements take either 30 or 60 days according to the terms set out in the Contract of Sale. If all parties agree, longer or shorter settlement terms can be arranged.

  • What is the pre-settlement inspection?

    This is a really important part of the settlement process and is also known as a final inspection. As a purchaser, you are entitled to undertake a final inspection in the week before settlement. The purpose of this inspection is to ensure any special conditions have been met and that the property is in the same condition as when the Contract of Sale was signed. You can do this inspection with the real estate agent or the seller.

  • What is a Contract of Sale?

    This is a legally binding agreement between two parties outlining the terms of purchase or transfer of real estate.

  • Who signs the Contract of Sale first?

    The purchaser usually signs the contract first. The purchaser submits their offer to the seller, which includes price and any additional conditions. From the moment a buyer signs the contract, it becomes a legal and binding document.

  • What's included in the Contract of Sale?

    If you have already inspected the property, don’t assume that everything you have seen is included with the property after settlement. Common items that may not be included in the contract might be furniture, appliances and fixtures, but don’t worry, your conveyancer will check this for you.

  • What is the Section 32 Vendor's Statement?

    Commonly called a ‘Section 32’, this is a document provided by the seller to the potential buyer. This document contains information about the property and, as required by law, must be disclosed by the seller to the purchaser prior to entering into a contract.This document is referred to as a Section 32 because it is implemented by Section 32 of the Sale of Land Act.

  • Can a Section 32 Vendor's Statement expire?

    Section 32 Vendors Statements are valid as long as the information included in them is up to date. Some certificates attached to the vendor statement may have an expiry period and may need to be updated. What sort of experience does your conveyancing team have? Our Chief Practice Manager, Mirella Rice, leads a team of expert conveyancers that have decades of experience specialising in all areas of property transactions. We’ll do everything we can to make your conveyancing as easy as possible.

  • Do you have insurance?

    We have a full suite of insurances including:

    • professional indemnity
    • cyber security
    • management and officer liability insurance..

  • What type of conveyancing can Settle Easy do?

    Our experienced team specialise in property transfers of:

    • residential properties
    • large scale off the plan property developments
    • retirement village residences
    • commercial properties
    • properties within trust structures
    • properties for self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs).

  • How will I know what's happening?

    At Settle Easy, we are committed to keeping you updated. As a registered customer, you will be able to track each stage of your transaction. We’ll also let you know what we need from you to avoid delays.

  • When will I get access to my property?

    We will let you know as soon as your settlement has been successful so you may collect the keys and start moving in. If you have sold property, we’ll also let you know when settlement is complete.

  • Can Settle Easy help me get a home loan?

    No, conveyancers are not allowed to give specific financial advice unless they have a licence to do so.

  • What is the stamp duty and how is it calculated?

    In Victoria, stamp duty, now known as land transfer duty” is payable when you acquire property-even if you receive that property as a gift. This duty is calculated on either the purchase price or market value of the property, whichever is highest.

  • What are chattels, fittings and fixtures?

    To avoid disappointment and disputes, it’s important to know the difference between chattels, fittings and fixtures. Chattels are usually goods that are not fixed to the land or property by anything other than their own weight. These might be things like furniture and small appliances that belong to a current property owner. Furniture that is built into a property wouldn’t be considered a chattel. Fittings and fixtures, on the other hand, refer to items that are generally attached to the land or property where damage would be caused to the property if they are removed. The most obvious example of this would be a built-in wardrobe.

  • Why should I keep paying home insurance if I am selling my property?

    If you are selling property, we recommend you maintain home insurance right up until the time of settlement. Things can (and sometimes do) go wrong between signing the contract and final settlement. A current home insurance policy can protect you against all sorts of accidental damage and legal liability.

  • How will Settle Easy protect my privacy?

    ConvX Holdings Pty Ltd ABN 55 628 482 717 (Settle Easy, we, us, our) is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. Our privacy policy explains how Settle Easy manages the personal information that we collect, use and disclose and how to contact us if you have any further queries about our management of your personal information. If you have any questions regarding Settle Easy’s Privacy Policy or would like us to send you a copy, please contact our Privacy Officer at Our privacy policy may be amended from time to time. The current version is the one shown on our website.

  • What is an electronic Certificate of Title?

    An electronic Certificate of Title or eCT is a person's record of interests and rights affecting their land. An eCT is issued by the Registrar of Titles to the registered proprietor or mortgagee. This document shows the date it was created, plus all registrations and recordings made in the Register at the time. This includes the name/s of registered proprietor/s and other interests such as mortgages, covenants and caveats. Registrations in the Register have a government guarantee. Victoria’s eCTs use the latest security technology and come with enhanced security features. They are designed to minimise the possibility of fraud providing additional protection of customers' interests and rights.

  • What is a utility provider and who is responsible for notifying them about a change of property ownership?

    A utility provider is an organisation that supplies electricity, gas, telephone and water usage. Settle Easy will let the authorities responsible for water rates, council rates, land tax and Owner’s Corporation fees (previously known as body corporate fees) know that a property has changed hands once settlement is complete. It is the responsibility of buyers and sellers to notify all other utility providers of a change in property ownership.

  • What are Adjustments?

    It is the document that shows the calculations on how the property outgoings such as rates, fees and levies are adjusted between the seller and the buyer. Buyers usually reimburse the seller for the outgoings payable from the day of settlement. Usually, if there is a balance owing on the outgoings it is deducted from the seller’s settlement monies. How long does it take to receive funds from settlement of a sale?  Most settlements are now conducted electronically, so funds are made available the next business day.

  • Who attends settlement?

    All Settle Easy conveyancing transactions are settled electronically in an online environment. Your conveyancer will liaise with all parties involved and advise you when settlement is complete.

  • How long does it take to receive funds from settlement of a sale?

    Most settlements are now conducted electronically, so funds are made available the next business day.

  • What is the 32 Statement?

    This is also called a vendor's statement and it is prepared by your conveyancer. This document discloses to the buyer information relevant to the property being sold. This must include information on restrictions of use of land, such as: covenants and easements, outgoings: such as rates and any other notices known by the seller. This must be handed over to any prospective buyer before signing a contract.

  • What is a Caveat?

    In conveyancing, this is a legal record noting someone’s interest in the property. This restricts dealings with the title until the caveat is resolved by the party with the registered interest.

  • Tell me more about third party expenses.

    Stamp duty; Land Victoria registration fees; adjustments; verification of identity; and anything additional/optional such as title insurance, caveat registration fees etc.

  • What type of conveyancer can Settle Easy do?

    Retirement villages, commercial property, trust, SMSF etc.

  • What are third party expenses?

    These include:

    • stamp duty
    • Land Victoria registration fees
    • Adjustments
    • Verification of Identity (VOI) fees
    • Optional extras such as title insurance and caveat registration fees.

  • What are Land Victoria registration fees?

    These are fees charged by the Land Titles Office on documents such as the Transfer of Land, Mortgage of Land and Discharge of Mortgage. There are no reductions, concessions or exemptions available on registration fees.

  • What is a statement of adjustment?

    This is a document which sets out the calculations of outgoings such as rates, fees and levies that will need to be adjusted at settlement to ensure that:

    • the seller only pays the necessary portion up to the date of settlement
    • the buyer only starts paying outgoings from the date of settlement.

  • What is a Section 32 Vendor Statement?

    This document is known as either a Section 32 or a vendor’s statement. It is an important document prepared by your conveyancer that discloses to the buyer information relevant to the property being sold. This must include information such as restrictions on the use of land, covenants, easements and outgoings such as rates and any other notices known by the seller. This document must be shared with any prospective buyer before a contract is signed.